Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Piano Tuner

These days I have been spending an inordinate amount of time trying to set up a web site with one of those syrupy programs they provide with web hosting services. I say syrupy because it is as slow as molasses in January and as awkward. Just doesn't pour out the way I remember it used to! I will get some better web development software and get a better grip.

The main exec of the site is an engineer and a scientist who wants things to be exact and absolutely letter-perfect and correct and not anyone else's questionable work, and I am a free spirit who wants things to be fun and pretty. This is an example of Mars and Venus, I believe?

Today I told him he is the Composer/Conductor of the symphony and I am just the Piano Tuner. And I haven't tuned a piano for about ten years.

But it's worth it! We have been dredging through a bunch of stuff on the internet and also in books and papers which we will organize and include or not include. There will undoubtedly come a time when someone in his field will have to look at the work we have done and advise as to flaws. And there should be someone in the marketing/ public relations field -- someone familiar with scientific and humanitarian efforts-- who can steer us in the right place. Wouldn't it be nice if we could just hire these good folks right off the bat and save ourselves some head banging?

Well, one of the good things about my having to type through all this data is that I will get to be a student of the scientist. This will help me with the concepts. And they are serious-- not just a fun thing, and certainly not "pretty." But it's about children and nutrition, and that is close to my heart, so we have a fire of that sort in our group belly. If we can make a difference, it will be worth the GRRRR part.

So for the next months I will be addressing the new project during my brighter morning hours and catching my blogging time later in the day. No doubt my subjects will be muzzier and less energetic, but, well, that's what personal blogs are about, huh?

I really used to enjoy visits by the piano tuner with his box of tools and his special little tunes for testing the sound. I probably drove him really crazy all day long asking questions and poking my nose into his tool kit as he worked on my mother's baby grand. He did give me a tuning fork once that I treasured. Wonder where it went? I don't know...I still think I would rather be the piano tuner than the composer-- much more casual and fun, and not so many critics. Just things that make it take longer than you would like.

Green Thumb