Friday, August 17, 2007

Harriet, Honey

An unexpected sort of apprenticeship came with an office manager position I had for a few years during the early 1980's. My immediate superior was the business manager and she was the most expert bill collector I ever expect to come upon.

Harriet was a cute little lady-- a sort of retiree who never did stop working. She hailed from Wyoming and she called everyone honey. She was a quick study in smiles and encouragement, an astute psychologist, and just a very good person in so many ways.

Her desk was beside mine and when Harriet called up a late payer account I would hear her voice go into super warm mode and her end of the conversation would go something like this:

"Hi, Honey. How are you? How're things going in (you name it-- Tulsa, Salem, Grand Rapids..)?"
"How's you mom doing now? She was so sick last time we talked."
"Oh, good! Aw thanks, honey, we're doing fine here, really doing great. Hey, we haven't heard from you in such a long time! I hope there's nothing wrong...is everything ok?"
"Well, we were wondering if you were getting our mail. Did I remember to send you your bill for your last order? ... you remember with the three big ones and ten little ones? It was Invoice xxxxxx?"
"Well it's for $2xx...-- can you find it in your records?"
"Anyway, I'll just send another copy out , ok? Of course, it will probably cross your check in the mail-- you know, that's always the way, isn't it , honey?"
"So good, we will expect your check...when? ...so I can be on the lookout for it in the mail. Or if it's easier, you can pay some now and some next week?"
"Oh, that would be great, honey! We'll look for the check and you can just deduct it from the balance! Terrific!"
"Well, you keep well, now, and give your mom my best wishes for a full recovery. Thanks so much and bye bye, honey!"


Harriet made paying out money sound like the funnest thing in the world. She might call folks two or three times before she would allow me to start charging late fees. She could pull in blood from a turnip, that lady. And everyone loved her including me.

Green Thumb